Monday, December 31, 2012

My Second Annual New Year's Resolution Post and Update

Um, yeh. That promise to blog more lasted until March and reading the Bible nightly lasted until May (Darn you, Leviticus!). I did lose 20 lbs (and then gained back 15), I did the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels, and my feet are in better shape. Woo hoo! We are going to call it a successful year :-).

I have decided that based on my performance this past year, I am going to do beginning of the year and then mid-year resolutions. I think the ENFP in me needs a new challenge around May, so instead of bemoaning my weaknesses as a human being, I am going to accept who I am and work with the raw material I have. Yep, being 36 is great--gotta love being OK with yourself.

So these are my "From January to May" Resolutions:

1. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier. If I accomplish this goal, it will be HUGE. I am an enormous night-owl. My body prefers to go to bed around 5AM and then get up around 1 in the afternoon. During the school year, I am able to modify this preferred behavior (I go to bed around midnight and get up around 6:20), but, of course, getting up at 6:20 does not give me enough time to get myself and my two adorable, grumpy children ready for school and out the door by at least 7:00 (preferably 6:45). My mornings end up being pretty grisly. So I resolve to be in bed reading by 9:30 and in bed with the lights out by 10, and I resolve to get up by 5:30.

2. Eat healthier and feed my family healthier meals. Emma is a horrible eater with a sweet tooth the size of Texas. She would rather eat chocolate ice cream than anything else. The only meat she eats are chicken nuggets from fast food restaurants. If I want her to eat healthier, I am going to have to be more consistent in my cooking. I need to have a rotation of about 5 healthy meals so that she is exposed over and over again to good food. So I resolve to plan and cook healthy meals for my family at least 4 nights a week, and I resolve to have healthy sweet things in my home to satiate Emma's sweet tooth.

3. To walk or do some kind of physical activity at least three days a week. I think this can be accomplished by getting up earlier. I get ready incredibly quickly, so if I get up by 5:30, I should be able to do 15-20 minutes of some kind of physical activity. The problem, of course, is I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS! I want the results-- a healthier body that will be able to play with my grandkids--but I don't want to do the work.


1 comment:

kellieja said...

You can do it! Make your family post comments on your blog and that will keep you motivated. My blog died in march so maybe i will pick it back up. One benefit while i was doing it was that when it came time to do a scrap book I copied and pasted my entries into one of those book making websites and voila.